We have upgraded the HELL out of this site. If you have any problems or find any errors let us know. Please update any bookmarks to match the new pages. Thanks and Enjoy!

Author Topic: How do I by pass the vacuum motor actuator in a dana 44 8fd  (Read 16294 times)

Offline littlemissmuddy

I have a 1989 Dodge w100 4x4 and it has the vacuum activated automatic locking hubs and I want to know if there is any way that I can bypass the vacuum motor and put some form of manual locking hubs in it. Would I have to just change the axles themselves or do I have to change the hole axle housing.  If it is just the axle shafts then is it an easy in and out swap, or is modification required to eliminate the vacuum activated four wheel drive.
Any suggestions..... new at all this

Offline AtomicDog

• Friend of ORE
Re: How do I by pass the vacuum motor actuator in a dana 44 8fd
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 09:15:14 AM »
Littlemissmuddy,

Use a cable conversion from 4x4 Posi-Lock.  http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html

I put one in one of my former trucks and it worked well.

Chris

'87 W250 HD, 360, D60's F&R.  Stock for now, but not for long.  64K original miles.

Offline littlemissmuddy

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 10:50:29 AM »
Thank you so much!! That is exactly the answer I wanted to hear....   I thought I would have to get a new axle.
One more thing, my four wheel drive wouldn't engage last night.... Not even the 4x4 light on the message center came up, Nothing happened when I shifted it to 4x4... Any suggestions on were to start looking? Fuses, wiring, vacuum lines?

Offline AtomicDog

• Friend of ORE
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 11:45:14 AM »
When my vacuum motor went out, I didn't get the console light either.  I'm not sure I trust my memory on this, but there should be a switch that threads into the vacuum actuator housing that drives the light.

Fix one problem, get the second one free!

Chris
'87 W250 HD, 360, D60's F&R.  Stock for now, but not for long.  64K original miles.

Offline littlemissmuddy

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 12:16:51 PM »
Thanks again!!
I can't wait to get rid of that stupid vacuum motor, what a pain!!
 That posi-lok cable conversion kit that you suggested sounds great. I work for an automotive parts store, and one of my suppliers North shore Off road sells the 450 kit!! SO I can have it over night!!
I read the online instructions on how to install the 450 kit and it doesn't sound to hard, do you think it is something some one who is rather new to wrench pulling to do themselves. Or would it be best if I had some one more experienced do it?
I have pulled that hole front end apart once all ready. I know what to expect, just don't want to wreck anything, or do something wrong.

Offline AtomicDog

• Friend of ORE
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 01:56:12 PM »
The hardest part of the entire install is placing the e-clips on the actuating shaft.  You are more than capable of doing this yourself.

Chris

Offline littlemissmuddy

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 05:17:13 PM »
Thanks again!! that cable will be in my store tomorrow morning!!  not to bad of a price either.... about 200$$ after taxes

Offline bueller

• If it's not broke, fix it anyway!
  • Friend of ORE
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2009, 10:48:44 AM »
I know its an old post, but an easier (and alot cheaper) way, is to manually lock the shift fork in the "locked" position and put on some manual hubs.  All you do, is take the actuator plate off, move the fork by hand, take the e-clip off the "un-locked" side, and install it in the remaining groove that Dodge was nice enough to put in the shaft for you, thereby putting the fork in-between the e-clips.  That's it...so its a $70 affair instead of a $300+ hit in the wallet.

Frank
'89 Ramcharger, 318 Magnum, 727, NP241